Apples to Apples
When comparing prices to other cemeteries, be sure to compare “apples to apples.” The majority of cemeteries will quote you just the cost for a cemetery plot. What they often fail to mention are the additional costs such as opening and closing of the grave, land maintenance, coordination with the funeral home, etc. (Which can add an additional cost upward of $1000 – $2000 and sometimes more.) Those additional costs aren’t usually paid until the time of death.
We know that death is a very stressful time, both emotionally and financially, so we have chosen to include all of the costs up front so you and your loved ones don’t have to worry about additional burial costs at the time of death.
$3500 – Woodlands
$4000 – Southeastern Meadow
$4500 – Creekside/Wetland View
See the different habitats here
Natural Burial of Cremated Remains
$1850 – Woodlands
$1950 – Southeastern Meadow
$2050 – Creekside/Wetland View
Scattering of Cremated Remains
For Our Pet Companions
Natural Pet Burial
$350 – 0 to 10 inches in length
$500 – 10 to 20 inches in length
$650 – 20 to 30 inches in length
$800 – 30 to 40 inches in length
$950 – 40 to 50 inches in length
$1100 – 50 to 60 inches in length
Ask for Quote – pets over 60 inches in length
*measurement is from base of tail to tip of nose
Natural Burial of Pet Cremated Remains
$550 – No weight restrictions
*price of soil amendment included
Scattering of Pet Cremated Remains
*price of soil amendment included
- Opening and Closing of Grave – Graves dug by hand.
- Burial Coordination + Facilitation – Coordination of the burial service and facilitation of the actual burial itself.
- Grave Recording + Marking – Collection of grave GPS coordinates, recording in digital map, physical marker + tags.
- Native Stone for Grave Marker – For Natural Burial, Burial of Cremated Remains, and Scattering of Cremated Remains.
- Handling of Cremated Remains – Purchase of burial/scattering of cremated remains include items required for interment, such as soil amendment or urns. Ashes will be buried or scattered according to best practices for green burial.
- Perpetual Care – Percentage of burial cost will be set aside for upkeep of the Sanctuary, the Sanctuary Endowment Fund, and to maintain the conservation easement.
- Engraving – Engraving of native stone marker; This fee is paid separately to engraver.
- Biodegradable Burial Container – Containers are not included in the cost but we have relationships with vendors who offer affordable cardboard coffins, pine caskets, and shrouds for sale. (You are not required to purchase through them.)
- Funeral Homes – Funeral homes will require separate payment for their services and transportation. Carolina Memorial Sanctuary is not responsible for these costs which must be paid directly to Funeral Home.
- Burial or scattering of cremated remains require the addition of soil amendments, provided and amended by Carolina Memorial Sanctuary, to neutralize the pH of the ashes.
- Human or pet cremated remains can be added to a grave. Requires the purchase of soil amendment (supplied by Carolina Memorial Sanctuary). An admin fee is charged to add human ashes to a grave.
- Urns are almost never used; in cases where they are, Carolina Memorial Sanctuary provides the urn and does not allow outside urns.
- Natural Pet Burial can take place in the Pet Memorial Garden or as part of a Family Plot, for people who have purchased spots for themselves. (A maximum of 3 pets can be added to a Family Plot based on available space.)
- Creekside burial occurs above the floodplain and 100 feet from a water source.
- Prices are reviewed annually and subject to change.
Payment plans are available for natural burial and burial of cremated remains.
- Full payment must be received prior to burial
- No interest
- Setup + Maintenance = $75 each year (rolled into payment plan)
- Typical Natural Burial: 2 Year Plan (24 monthly payments)
- Typical Burial of Cremated Remains: 1 Year Plan (12 monthly payments)
- Flexible terms (monthly, bi-monthly, etc.)
- Can extend terms for financial hardship
Download ‘Payment Plan Options’ below to see pricing options.
Reserve a Spot
If Conservation & Green Burial seems like a good idea, and you’re interested in further exploring your burial options, we recommend booking a guided tour as a first step to exploring green burial at Carolina Memorial Sanctuary. You can also contact us to discuss your personal wishes and needs. You can call us at 828-782-7283, email us, or complete the following form and we will follow up with you.